Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Darfur and Powerlessness

"Never Again" is the mantra taught to young Jewish children in their Hebrew school classes. "Never Again" can we allow the Holocaust to happen. "Never Again" can we let genocidal maniacs kill millions of people because of who they are or what they believe. "Never Again" can the international community be slow to act or close its eyes as madmen kill indiscriminately. Never Again.

Yet, it is happening again. I am a firm believer that there was only one Holocaust. My reasons are two-fold. First, I believe that the Holocaust is a unique event in human history and should not be conflated with other events, even other genocides. Second, I believe that other genocides should likewise be recognized as unique. American Slavery, The Armenian Genocide, and now Darfur deserve their own recognition.

But that is neither here not there. That is not the purpose of this diary. The purpose of this diary is to express frustration. I know there is a genocide going on in Darfur. I know that the Janjaweed militia has killed hundreds of thousands of people and continues to kill today. I know that Millions have been forced from their homes. I know that women and girls have been raped. I know all of this and there is nothing I can do about it.

I can write my Congressman, but does that do anything? I can donate money, but does that fix the problem? What I am talking about here is powerlessness. With so many distractions with Iraq, Iran, North Korea, Afghanistan, and the Middle East, not to mention domestic issues, how do we focus the government on the fact that there is a genocide going on again in our century. And once we focus our government, how do we focus the international community?

Walking down the street I get these pangs of guilt. Guilt because I know that I am not supposed to let genocide happen again in my life. Guilt because it already happened in Rwanda and guilt because it is happening again in Darfur.

1 Comments:

At 7:17 AM, Blogger Red Tulips said...

AYD:

There is little that one person can do. It also is not clear exactly what can or should be done in Darfur. If we go into Darfur, the genocider, Bashir, will suddenly be seen as an aggrieved Muslim, and muhajadeen soldiers from around the world will pour into Sudan to fight on behalf of Bashir.

So what should be done? I don't know - there's no easy answer.

But yes, Darfur is an utter tragedy.

P.S.: *waves*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home