Saturday, March 17, 2007

Let's Call A Spade A Spade

There it is. I have said it. Now, what does it mean?

I always assumed that this was a racially insensitive statement. In fact, I thought it was downright racist. But when someone suggested to me that I was way off on this one, I decided to do a little research.

It was only recently, in the 20th century, that the term "spade" was used to refer to a Black person. Its origin comes from the "spade" suit in a deck of cards. Thus, with that definition, "calling a spade a spade" could mean calling a "racial epithet a racial epithet."

However, "calling a spade a spade" as an expression long predates the racial connotation of the word spade. As Random House explains, "to call a spade a spade" originated in ancient Greece.

"The exact origin is uncertain; the playwright Menander, in a fragment, said "I call a fig a fig, a spade a spade," but Lucian attributes the phrase to Aristophanes. Later, Plutarch notes that "The Macedonians are a rude and clownish people who call a spade a spade." (It is worth noting that the Greek word translated as "spade" seems actually to mean something like "bowl" or "trough"; the "spade" may be based on a Renaissance mistranslation. In this case the original expression was "to call a bowl a bowl," and thus the "spade" expression is "only" 500, rather than 2,500, years old.)" http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19970115

The meaning of "to call a spade a spade" is to speak bluntly. Bartelby.com provides an excellent example (maybe I am biased because I am a lawyer) of the proper usage of the idiom. “The prosecutor said, ‘Let’s call a spade a spade. You didn’t borrow the money, you stole it.’” http://www.bartleby.com/59/4/callaspadeas.html

The question in my mind, is where does this get us. The phrase "to call a spade a spade" is not a racially insensitive remark. At least not in its origin. However, there is a segment of the population who believes it is, and therefore is offended by it. For example, A Sacramento City Council meeting got a little heated when a council-member used the idiom and his African-American colleague was insulted commenting that the idiom was an “ethnically and racially derogatory remark”. http://www.worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw-spa1.htm

In this way, the idiom is much like the word "niggardly" which is sometimes met with outrage from people who believe it derives from the racial slur "nigger." A white aide to former Washington D.C. Mayor Anthony Williams resigned after using the word "niggardly," a student in Wisconsin was outraged when her teacher insisted on using the word, a 4th grade teacher was formerly reprimanded for uttering the word, and many many other controversies have arisen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niggardly

So what is the answer? What do we do with words or sayings that are not racially insensitive but people believe them to be? Do we stop using the phrase "call a spade a spade" because some people erroneously believe that it is a racial epithet? Do we stop using the word "niggardly" because people don't know what it means? Clearly this has happened before. I can't remember the last time someone used the word "faggot" and actually meant a bundle of sticks.

At the same time, there are racial epithets that are used all the time that people aren't aware of. Sometimes I feel like a one-man crusade to get people to stop using the term "gyp" which is a derogatory term for a gypsy. I don't think I have ever known a Gypsy, but I do know that the phrase "don't Gyp me" is the same to me as "don't Jew me."

At the end of the day, I am not sure where I come out on this. I don't use the term "gyp," am have never used the term "niggardly," and I never "call a spade a spade." It has made my life easier. However, the controversies over "niggardly" and "call a spade a spade" are always popping up. Knowing the actual definitions of these words and phrases leads me to side with the people who use them properly. I find the people objecting to be reactionary in that they are upset at the usage of words and phrases that they don't understand.

I am curious where other people come out on this. Do we stop using these words and phrases because of what people misunderstand, or do we stubbornly insist on using them in the proper form recognizing the storm that might erupt?

PS - can anyone tell me if the phrase "to welch on a bet" has anything to do with the Welsh? I have always assumed it does, but before I call someone out on its usage, I want some type of proof.

Labels:

25 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Conflicted said...

I was searching for the origin of the phrase because I was wondering if it had racist origins and Google brought me to your post. Nice job, very informative. And I couldn't agree more re "gyp."

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ignorance should never be coddled. It should be challenged, refuted and corrected at every turn. people who misunderstand should be informed of the facts and if they insist upon still maintaining offense let them revel in their ignorance and ignore their complaints.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Got here just like Pearl. I think this is a pretty simple argument. Try to not to use words that others find offensive. Just don't. If you must, know the origin and meaning of your words, so as to soothe hurt feelings on the receiver's end.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger MarkSr said...

I always believed the phrase "Let's call a Spade a Spade" refered to being honest and frank. That was until I used the phrase in a conversation with a young black lawyer. His body language said it all. I had offended him. I am not ignorant of the slang term but it never crossed my mind until his reaction. I never intended to offend. But political correctness has replaced truth and honesty. I believe that tact should always be used for diplomacy and keeping the peace but not at the expense of truth. We are all responsible to be informed. Ignorance is a shallow excuse on both sides. Keep the peace but not at all cost.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger JR Johnson said...

I know this is really old, but I'd like to bring up the point that it may have not been the suit in a deck of cards from which the phrase originated. I believe it has something to do with spades vs. shovels going back a few centuries.

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger Midwestgirl said...

All interesting comments- I've always concluded the expression came from card games where a wild card was called at the beginning of the hand and instead of naming a wild card - the choice was made to 'call a spade a spade'.

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

niggers

 
At 7:50 PM, Anonymous educated african american female said...

it's interesting that the last post chose to remain anonymous.....cowardly, limitless, uneducated, and racist! Your lack of knowledge (ignorance) really should remain nameless, coming from the mindset of a person who utters one word - probably the lack of intelligence to know better. Get an education - knowledge is POWER!

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Ginger said...

I am working on a project where I must tell people of their commercial interest dishonesty and I really want to use that phrase because it denotes what I want to say perfectly. Since I love, respect and accept all people, I think people should assess the content in which things are said and not over analyze every little thing people say and be offended by everything. (Some one-- some where is Always offended) I think people can sense when people are being rude, nasty, racist, demeaning, belittling by looking at their demeanor, body language and tone; granted those things in print are not available to the human eye but again, you can tell by content of what is being read-- like the idiot that left a one word remark. Love and Lighten up-- and call a spade a spade...tell the truth..

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger jujube said...

The common street nigger might take offence to "call a spade a spade" or to use the term "niggardly" to describe someone who may be acting like a Jew about their money among friends. I've always liked the lyric in Stevie Wonders' "In The City" where an obviously white prison guard utters "get into that cell, nigger... doggone". Sometimes confusion may arise over the Greek usage of the "Let's Call A Spade A Spade" when used in a paragraph where it is said "He's black as the ace of spades".
Since the banksters have taken over the plantation, everyone in America could be referred to as a nigger owing his/her soul to the "company store". Any New Yorker could easily refer to Silverstein's collection of the WTC insurance collection of over $2B as being the "ultimate Jewish Lightening" escapade easily covered up by the Jew MSM. Don't forget about the celebrating "Dancing Israelis" sighted in Secaucus, New Jersey.

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger Ginger said...

So, are you offended? The whole world needs to "chill" and not be offended by everything... In some spanish cultures; the terms, negrita or negrito is often used....meaning in essense...young black one--although it does not translate well.....it's without doubt a term of affection. Like I said, when will not all be so easily offended..... <{{{{{{<

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger jim said...

Good post, I Pearled here too. Like some others above, I fall on the side of 'accurate use of the language' especially if a word hasn't been almost completely redefined by newer uses, e.g. faggot.

For a description of the Welsh/welch thing, check out http://dailyapple.blogspot.com/2005/10/apple-116-welsh-vs-welch.html, especially the comment from a Welshman.

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would appear that multicultural society is destroying our language amongst other things(e.g. Music). Those that seek to settle in the UK are oversensitive and use the PC culture to get their own way, be it via compensation or a leg up in the job front via positive discrimination (must have a % of quotas).

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I call a spade a spade" is predominantly used by northerners who seem to think they are more superior than those in the south. The term is meant to mean straight talking (Common Speaking). However they manage to pronounce scone as scon which is incorrect. I call a scone a scone, a stone a stone & a throne a throne not scon, ston or thron! Idiots!

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Dave Jones said...

"Let's Call A Spade A Spade" Shouldn't be used, as you can read all the "Anonymous" comments above seem to be racist. People are racist you would be an idiot to believe otherwise.

Just face it the word has more than one meaning now.
So please stop using it and just leave it to the Anonymous hillbilly rednecks in there white power gatherings.

Or do you believe them Anonymous gatherings don't happen. Sorry to say but they do! So you need to open your eyes smell the coffee!.

One day people will live to help everyone however we are hundreds if not thousands of years off that.

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous RayW said...

I'm constantly amazed by how far Americans will go to avoid insulting others where "racial" phrases may be concerned. "Calling a spade a spade" has nothing to do with race. It's most famous origin is from Lucius Mestrius Plutarchus (Plutarch). spade=trough=shovel. It means to speak honestly and directly about a topic, specifically topics that others may avoid speaking about due to their sensitivity or embarrassing nature. Why would anyone reward ignorance in support of a false racial argument? The best way to combat racism is with intelligence,integrity and compassion.

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Adin said...

I know that I try to be PC, to an extent, and that I try to know where my words are stemming from. I'd never even heard of the term until my girlfriend's employer asked her to stop saying that. She didn't know that it could mean anything but to be frank and direct.

I guess my best advice to people is to use common sense. If you don't want to run the risk of being misinterpreted, especially by a third-party, then don't say things like that. There is a difference between educating people and fighting ignorance and just arguing over little details to argue when they don't really matter.

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous ByteCrawler said...

Now that we got that one out of the way, who's for avoiding "have a chink in one's armor"? And while we're at it, as a Italian American, I think New Guinea should change it's name!

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on people!

Quit being cowards-if someone is offended by a word because they do not know what the meaning is or what its origin is, their offended sensibilities are simply invalid. Tell them they are wrong for being offended and inform them about the word meaning or origin. We already have enough ignorance in the world and we don't need anymore people grandstanding on political correctness based on ignornace.

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just don't talk to anybody. People get offended when you call the sky blue for crying out loud. Just get over it people!!! Quit wearing your hearts on your sleeves (probably just offended a heart transplant patient)and let it roll off your backs! To HELL with PC!!!

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just heard a guy on CNBC use the term...Hey, why is it OK for black people to use the N-Word when they talk about themselves?

 
At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This phrase pre-dates the use spade as an ethnic slur and refers to shovels (spade is a shovel). Means to speak plainly. It wasn't until the 20th Century that spade was used as a slur in America, but this expression has been around long before that, likely originating in the 16th Century

 
At 6:57 AM, Anonymous FedUp said...

I find it interesting that the good folks of PCville will go out of thier way to avoid offending anyone, but those that the terms apply to have no problem insulting everyone else. The term term "nigger" will be applied correctly when a person regardless of color decides that someone elses life or property is theres to take. Dont like it. TOUGH

 
At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Anonymous hillbilly rednecks in there (their) white power gatherings" are you kidding me? That idiotic statement doesn't offend. The "urban dictionary" is not valid, it means nothing. Shall we change the name of the crunchy bread-like wafers we eat with soup? Get real, turn off the liberal faux news and read a book.
I'm signing as Anonymous because stupid people wear me down and because I'm tired of talking to you.

 
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

""I call a spade a spade" is predominantly used by northerners who seem to think they are more superior than those in the south. The term is meant to mean straight talking (Common Speaking). However they manage to pronounce scone as scon which is incorrect. I call a scone a scone, a stone a stone & a throne a throne not scon, ston or thron! Idiots!"

But I'd wager you call a "bOOk" a "buck"? That's if you know what one is you daft nonce.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home